Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chicken, Broccoli, and Uncle Ben's

You'd think a meal of chicken breasts, broccoli, and rice would be super healthy, right? Nutrition is a lot harder than you'd think. This meal was fine but definitely not up there with my all stars. Still, I am very excited that Nugget appears ready to eat broccoli again. He didn't eat much this tine, but that was because I accidentally made it waaaay too salty. Like, too salty for Trent even, which is crazy salty. Doh.


p.s. The chicken is cheaper than usual because got it for $1.69 a pound at Albertson's with a coupon. That's insanely cheap. It's 60 cents cheaper than Costco, even. They did make me take some rib meat with my breasts, and there was way more fat to trim than I'm used to. Hello squeamish white meat lover, that's me. Poor dark meat loving Trent was aghast when I said I maybe sort of might of tossed some rib meat with the fatty bits ...

p.p.s. I am trying to get myself off the Uncle Ben's, which I seriously love, because I know it's got crazy sodium and not the best nutrition, but I had a coupon! And did I mention I love that shit?


IngredientNutritionCost
Boneless skinless chicken breast (sauteed in olive oil)Protein (27 g), Iron (5%). Good source of Vitamin B6, Phosphorus. Very good source of Protein, Niacin, Selenium$2.06
Fresh broccoli florets (roasted with olive oil)Protein (2 g), Vitamin A (43%), Vitamin C (110%), Calcium (3%), Iron (3%). Good source of Thiamin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, and Selenium; very good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, and Manganese.$0.88
Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild riceFiber (1 g/4%), Protein (6 g), Calcium (4%), Vitamin C (2%), Iron (10%), Thiamin (15%), Niacin (20%), Folate (25%). $2.75
TotalFiber (1 g/4%), Protein (35 g), Iron (18%), Calcium (7%), Vitamin A (43%), Vitamin C (112%).$5.69

Cost per person: $2.28
Nutritional Goals: Excellent Vitamin C; Good Vitamin A; Fair Iron; Poor Calcium and Fiber. Lean protein. Partial serving of whole grains. 

Recipe for chicken breasts here (beware! it might be fried chicken lite! I left out the butter, it was fine.)

Recipe for broccoli: toss broccoli in olive oil and salt, spread on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray, and roast for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment