Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Crunchy Chicken and Succotash

Succotash was the first (and so far, only) dish I ever made with lima beans--and as far as I recall, the only time I've ever eaten them. My mom hates them. It was a revelation to me to find they are incredibly delicious. I'd been craving my succotash since I first made it several weeks ago, so I made it again tonight. I'm stocking up on frozen corn so I can make this through the winter, but for now fresh corn is still cheap and good. It's traditionally made with copious amounts of butter, but I use olive oil. The crunchy chicken recipe is a really delicious alternative to fried chicken that my mom developed (as far as I know).

MenuNutritionCost
Boneless skinless chicken breasts (baked in nonfat plain greek yogurt, panko bread crumbs, parmesan)Protein (27 g), Iron (5%). Good source of Vitamin B6, Phosphorus. Very good source of Protein, Niacin, Selenium.$3
Nonfat plain greek yogurt (1/4 cup)Vitamin A (5%), Vitamin D (5%), Calcium (8%), Protein (3 g). Good source of Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Zinc. Very good source of Riboflavin, Phosphorus.$0.68
Fresh cornFiber (2 g/8%), Protein (2 g), Vitamin A (3%), Vitamin C (8%). Good source of Thiamin, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus.$1.40
Frozen baby lima beansFiber (5 g/20%), Protein (6 g), Vitamin A (3%), Vitamin C (11%), Iron (10%), Calcium (3%). Very good source of Manganese.$1
Canned organic tomatoesFiber (1 g/4%), Protein (1 g), Vitamin A (15%), Vitamin C (35%), Iron (4%), Calcium (2%). Good source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Copper, Manganese. Very good source of Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium. $1
Fresh Valencia orangesFiber (3 g/12%), Vitamin C (98%), Vitamin A (6%), Calcium (5%). Good source of Thiamin, Folate, Potassium.$1.80
Total39 g Protein, 44% Fiber, 19% Iron, 32% Vitamin A, 152% Vitamin C, 18% Calcium. $8.88

Cost per person: $2.54
Goals met: Excellent Vitamin C and Protein, Good Iron, Fair Vitamin A, Fiber, and Calcium. All whole grains. Both beans and lean poultry as sources of protein. Overall, I'm calling this an Excellent meal. 

Recipes: 
Succotash recipe here (substitute 1/4 cup olive oil for the butter)
Crunchy Chicken: Cut 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts in half lengthwise and gently pound flat. Salt both sides. Dip in 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt then roll in mixture of 1 cup panko bread crumbs, 1/2 cup grated parmesan until coated. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray before placing chicken on it. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, turning once.

No comments:

Post a Comment