Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Turkey Goulash

Tonight we had turkey goulash, made with red peppers instead of green because red are more nutritious and they are still cheap right now, and topped with greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

I was really surprised to discover that spices can have so much nutritional value. The large amount of paprika in this dish really upped my Vitamin A, although I was already doing well with the carrots and red peppers. I was really expecting to get an Excellent on overall nutrition for this dish, and was very surprised by the deficiencies. When I saw the lack of fiber, I wished I had made some bread to go with the meal. It really took me by surprise -- I tend to think of veggies as having a lot of fiber. And I never saw the need for bread with this because it has carb-heavy potatoes. Plus my focus on calories has made me really shun bread in recent years. But bread made with whole grain flour and sesame seeds would have helped with the fiber, calcium, and whole grain deficiencies.

Including bread also would have helped me stretch this to another dinner  (making cost per person really low), which I had hoped to do but it didn't happen -- there was only enough for a generous lunch for Trent tomorrow. It's just as well since Nugget virtually refused to eat it, despite having eaten this with relish in the past.

Menu/IngredientNutritionCost
Ground turkey 93/7Iron (10%), Protein (22 g). Good source of Niacin, very good source of Selenium.$3
White onionVitamin C (3%). $0.84
Red peppersVitamin A (29%), Vitamin C (98%), Iron (2%), Fiber (2 g/8%). Very good source of E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin B6 and Folate; good source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Potassium, and Manganese.$1
CarrotsVitamin A (77%), Fiber (1 g/3%). Very good source of Vitamin K and Manganese. $0.10
PotatoesVitamin C (33%), Fiber (2 g/9%), Iron (4%). Good source of Vitamin B6, Potassium.$0.80
Organic tomato sauceVitamin C (7%), Vitamin A (5%), Iron (5%), Fiber (5%). Very good source of good source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Potassium, and Manganese. $0.58
Organic chicken brothGood source of Niacin, Vitamin B12, and Selenium.$0.92
PaprikaVitamin A (21%), Vitamin C (2%), Iron (3%). Very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, and Potassium.$1
Nonfat plain greek yogurt (1/4 cup)Vitamin A (5%), Vitamin D (5%), Calcium (8%), Protein (3 g). Good source of Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Zinc. Very good source of Riboflavin, Phosphorus.
$0.68
Total22 g Protein, 25% Fiber, 24% Iron, 137% Vitamin A, 143% Vitamin C, 8% Calcium.$8.92


Cost per person: $2.55 - almost on the nose of my target!
Nutritional Goals: Excellent Vitamin C and Vitamin A, Fair Iron and Fiber, Poor Calcium. No whole grains.  


Recipe for Turkey Goulash here.

No comments:

Post a Comment