Monday, October 31, 2011

Tuna Salad with Carrots and Sunflower Seeds, Bread, Apples


A light and easy dinner before trick-or-treating. Cheap, but not as nutritious as I'd like. And unfortunately not very filling. I was starving and scarfed down some cheese a few minutes ago. Guess I should have included cheese in the meal, as I considered. Would've helped my calcium grade. I meant to put cabbage in the tuna salad, which would have added Vitamin C, but forgot. I was very happy with the tuna salad though. I've been searching for a way to make tuna salad without the crunch and moisture of celery, which Trent dislikes, and this fit the bill. I'll have to make it again with the cabbage.

IngredientNutritionCost
Chunk white albacore tuna canned in waterProtein (26 g), Iron (5%), Vitamin D (12%), Niacin (60%), Vitamin B6 (20%), Vitamin B12 (20%), Selenium (180%)$1.50
Fresh organic baby carrotsFiber (1%), Vitamin A (30%). Very good source of Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, and Manganese.$0.25
Sunflower seedsFiber (1 g/5%), Protein (2 g), Calcium (1%), Iron (3%). Very good source of Vitamin E. $0.33
Light mayonnaise made with olive oilVitamin A (1%)$0.25
Homemade bread (with Eagle Mills’ blend of white and whole grain flour)Fiber (2 g/8%), Protein (4 g), Iron (4%), Thiamin (6%), Riboflavin (2%), Niacin (4%), Folic acid (2%)$0.27
Jonagold apples Fiber (4 g/17%), Vitamin A (2%), Vitamin C (14%), Calcium (1%), Iron (1%). $0.91
TotalFiber (7 g/31%), Protein (32 g), Iron (29%), Calcium (2%), Vitamin A (33%), Vitamin C (14%).$3.51

Cost per person: $1.40
Nutritional Goals: Good Vitamin A; Fair Fiber, Iron, and Vitamin C; Poor Calcium. One serving of whole grains. Fish as protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment