Friday, October 7, 2011

Chicken & Tomatoes, Cheesy Butternut Squash, & Sesame Bread


I don't usually buy much organic--can't stomach the prices--but this week at Safeway the organic butternut squash was 50 cents cheaper per pound than the regular. Strange. I haven't ever eaten much squash, but I've been trying to expand my vegetable repertoire to include some of the super-nutritious stuff like butternut squash. I baked it with a lot of cheese in an effort to convince Nugget to like it, but it didn't work. Frankly, I didn't much care for it either. I just don't like my vegetables to be that sweet. Trent liked it. So he said. He did think it didn't look very appetizing.


This was a pretty good meal nutritionally and budget-wise, but I won't be making the squash again. Neither Nugget nor I liked it,and it took a long time. This was a pretty labor-intensive meal overall, and took several hours to make. Not gonna work when I get busier with work.

Menu/IngredientNutritionCost
Boneless skinless chicken breasts (baked with tomato/onion/olive oil/garlic/lemon juice in foil packets)Protein (27 g), Iron (5%). Good source of Vitamin B6, Phosphorus. Very good source of Protein, Niacin, Selenium.$3
White onionVitamin C (1%)$0.42
Organic canned diced tomatoesFiber (1 g/4%), Vitamin A (10%), Vitamin C (20%), Calcium (2%), Iron (2%), Selenium (50%), Folate (5%).$0.96
Fresh organic butternut squash (sauteed in olive oil/onion/garlic and baked with chicken broth, fontina, parmesan, and panko bread crumbs)Protein (2 g), Vitamin A (457%), Vitamin C (52%), Calcium (8%), Iron (7%). Very good source of Potassium and Manganese; good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, and Magnesium.$3
FontinaProtein (4 g), Vitamin A (3%), Calcium (8%)$2
Homemade bread (made with a blend of whole grain and white flour)Fiber (3 g/12%), Protein (6 g), Iron (6%), Thiamin (9%), Riboflavin, Niacin, Folic acid$0.30
Sesame seeds (on bread)Fiber (1%), Calcium (2%), Iron (2%). Very good source of Copper and Manganese.$0.40
Total39 g Protein, 17% Fiber, 22% Iron, 470% Vitamin A,76% Vitamin C, 20% Calcium.$10.08

Cost per person: $2.88
Nutritional Goals: Excellent Vitamin A and C, Fair Calcium, Fiber, Iron. Some whole grains. Recommended protein source.


Recipes: 
Chicken & Tomatoes in Foil Packets (I left out the goat cheese this time)
Butternut Squash Au Gratin
Sesame Bread 

How gorgeous is my bread?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe you might want to include a warning to not throw the squash remains down the garbage disposal. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, yes, forgot I meant to put that in my "Things I've Learned" page.

    ReplyDelete