Sunday, October 30, 2011

Potato Leek Soup, Bread, and Blueberry Apple Pie a la mode


It feels a little wrong to count the calcium and vitamins from the ice cream, but whatevs. I'll take my nutrition where I can get it. Notice that it is the greatest single source of protein in this meal ...

But what happened to my blueberries! Apparently freezing vitamin C causes much greater losses than for any other vitamin or mineral. So much for all those frozen blueberries I stockpiled.

After putting all the components of the soup together and tasting it I was not too happy, so I decided to steam some carrots and add them in. After sitting down to eat, I found I liked the soup more than my initial taste, and the carrots really didn't work. Oh well. They rescued my Vitamin A grade.

I think I will just avoid any recipe that requires peeling fruits and vegetables with edible peels. It really killed me on the fiber and iron here to lose the apple and potato peels. I often ignore that instruction, e.g. when making mashed potatoes, but I didn't think it would work in the soup or pie to leave the peel.

All in all this was a pretty lackluster meal nutritionally, and it ended up being over budget. On the other hand, my pie was delicious.

IngredientNutritionCost
Russet potatoes (no peel)Fiber (2 g/9%), Protein (3 g), Iron (3%), Vitamin C (33%), Calcium (1%). Good source of Vitamin B6, Potassium, and Copper.$1.13
LeeksFiber (1 g/2%), Vitamin A (9%), Vitamin C (6%), Calcium (2%), Iron (3%). Very good source of Vitamin K, Folate, and Manganese.$2.15
Organic chicken brothProtein (1 g). Good source of Niacin, Vitamin B12, and Selenium.$2.75
Fresh organic baby carrotsFiber (2%), Vitamin C (1%), Vitamin A (61%). Very good source of Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, and Manganese.$0.50
Homemade bread (with Eagle Mills’ blend of white and whole grain flour)Fiber (2 g/8%), Protein (4 g), Iron (4%), Thiamin (6%), Riboflavin (2%), Niacin (4%), Folic acid (2%)$0.55
Jonagold apples (no peel)Fiber (1 g/5%), Vitamin A (1%), Vitamin C (7%), Calcium (1%). $1.37
Frozen blueberriesFiber (1 g/5%), Vitamin C (2%). Good source of Manganese; very good source of Vitamin K.$2
Frozen pie crustProtein (1 g), Iron (2%).$0.77
Light vanilla ice creamProtein (6 g), Vitamin A (8%), Vitamin C (4%), Calcium (20%)$1.75
TotalFiber (7 g/31%), Protein (15 g), Iron (12%), Calcium (24%), Vitamin A (79%), Vitamin C (53%).Soup: $1.87/person
Bread: $0.11/person
Pie: $1.18/person

Cost per person: $3.16
Nutritional Goals: Excellent Vitamin A and C; Fair Fiber, Iron, and Calcium. One serving of whole grains. No major protein source.


Recipes:
Potato leek soup (I used a couple T of olive oil instead of the butter, and only 2 lb of potatoes as recommended by reviewers)
Artisan bread in five minutes a day (this site may change your life)
Apple blueberry pie: Mix 2 cups frozen blueberries, 3 peeled and chopped apples, 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 c. cornstarch, 1 tsp. cinnamon, juice of 1 lemon, and 1/4 tsp. salt; pour into frozen pie crust; bake 35 minutes at 400 degrees; rest 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment