Friday, October 7, 2011

Smoked Salmon, Potatoes, Carrots, and Lots and Lots of Butter

I sort of feel like I'm cheating on this one. We often get free salmon from Trent's employer, so the protein in this meal--usually the biggest expense--is a big fat zero. Trent smoked it in the backyard with salt and pepper. I suppose I could count the cost of the charcoal and wood? Assuming $3 in charcoal and wood, that bumps my per person cost of the meal from $0.84 to $1.50. Still a smokin' deal, pun intended. It would have been less, but I accidentally used more than twice as much butter on the potatoes as I intended. But did you know that butter has Vitamin A? A lot of Vitamin A. Olive oil, my usual choice for cooking, does not. Maybe I should cook with butter more often. I used it this time -- a lot of it -- because I just got back from 10 days of my mom's cooking, and now I remember how good things taste when cooked in butter. Why yes, I did just cook 5 potatoes in a whole stick of butter ... and god damn it tasted good.
Menu/IngredientNutritionCost
Smoked salmonProtein (18 g), Vitamin A (2%), Calcium (1%), Iron (5%). Very good source of Protein, Vitamin B12, and Selenium. Good source of Niacin, Vitamin B6, and Phosphorus. $3
Potatoes (stewed in butter)Vitamin C (28%), Fiber (4 g/15%), Protein (4 g), Iron (10%), Calcium (3%). Good source of Vitamin B6, Potassium.$1
ButterVitamin A (11%)$1.77
Carrots (braised in butter)Vitamin A (266%), Fiber (2 g/9%), Protein (1 g), Vitamin C (5%), Iron (1%), Calcium (2%). Very good source of Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, and Manganese; good source of good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, and Potassium.$0.99
Total23 g Protein, 24% Fiber, 16% Iron, 279% Vitamin A, 33% Vitamin C, 6% Calcium.$6.76

Cost per person: $1.50 - outstanding!
Nutritional Goals: Excellent Vitamin A, Good Vitamin C, Fair Fiber and Iron, Poor Calcium. Fish protein. No whole grains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment