Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mediterranean Scramble and Oranges

I needed to use up that spinach I made that no one liked, and eggs seemed like the perfect vehicle. I made "hash browns" by chopping potatoes into skinny little pieces and sauteeing them in olive oil, and added the leftover spinach/feta/garlic/onion, a can of tomatoes, and some scrambled eggs. I would have added more feta while cooking but I was being nice to Trent. I just piled it on my own plate after the fact, and man was it good. Feta is the perfect addition to these flavors.

IngredientNutritionCost
Russet potatoes (with skin, chopped and sauteed in olive oil)Fiber (4 g/15%), Protein (4 g), Iron (10%), Vitamin C (28%), Calcium (3%). Good source of Vitamin B6, Potassium.$0.38
Frozen spinach (sauteed in olive oil with garlic and feta)Fiber (5 g/18%), Protein (6 g), Vitamin A (366%), Vitamin C (14%), Calcium (20%), Iron (16%). Very good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper, Manganese and Selenium.$0.50
FetaProtein (7 g), Vitamin A (6%), Calcium (10%). Good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B12, and Phosphorus.$0.70
Canned organic tomatoesFiber (1 g/4%), Vitamin A (10%), Vitamin C (20%), Calcium (2%), Iron (2%), Selenium (50%), Folate (5%)$0.96
Fresh organic eggsProtein (17 g), Vitamin A (15%), Calcium (10%), Iron (10%). Good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B12, and Phosphorus; very good source of Selenium.$1.56
Fresh valencia orangesFiber (3 g/12%), Protein (1 g), Vitamin A (6%), Vitamin C (98%), Calcium (5%), Iron (1%). Good source of Thiamin, Folate and Potassium.$1.05
TotalFiber (13 g/49%), Protein (42 g), Iron (39%), Calcium (40%), Vitamin A (397%), Vitamin C (160%).$5.15

Cost per person: $2.06
Nutritional Goals: Excellent Vitamin A and Vitamin C; Good Fiber, Iron, and Calcium. No whole grains. Vegetarian.
I am sort of cheating by dividing the total cost of the ingredients by 2.5 because I didn't even bother serving this to Nugget. He is really down on eggs lately. Serving him his own meal goes against the feeding philosophy I've adopted, but I had a bunch of other leftovers and he's been sick and I knew there was no way he'd eat this but I wanted to make it for myself so ... Anyway, there was enough left over after Trent and I were satiated that he could have eaten, so I think dividing by 2.5 was justified. Especially since I fed the leftovers to the dog. Who has been acting like we starve her lately and was most appreciative.
Contentment

No comments:

Post a Comment