Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Turkey Chili, Bread, and Oranges


This might be the first time I've hit my budget and awarded an "Excellent Nutrition." Plus both Trent and I loved it. I've made this chili recipe before and we liked it, but I tweaked it a little this time and it was especially good. Of course, Nugget refused to eat any. But he'll come around. He's eaten chili  in the past, and he will again. I'll be serving this again for sure.

I am kicking myself right now for not freezing a supply of fresh red peppers while they were cheap. They get ridiculously expensive for most of the year, and they are such a go-to vegetable for me. They've got huge amounts of both Vitamin A and C, they work well in many of the recipes I regularly make, and Nugget will eat them. Weirdly, I've never seen them in the frozen foods section. Maybe I can find them at Trader Joe's. But that's an hour and a half drive for me ...


IngredientNutritionCost
Lean ground turkeyProtein (22 g), Iron (10%). Good source of Niacin, very good source of Selenium.$3
Frozen bell peppers (green/yellow/red)Fiber (1 g/3%), Vitamin A (17%), Vitamin C (60%), Iron (1%)$1.12
Canned organic tomatoesFiber (1 g/4%), Vitamin A (10%), Vitamin C (20%), Calcium (2%), Iron (2%), Selenium (50%), Folate (5%)$0.96
Fresh cilantroVitamin A (5%), Vitamin C (2%)$0.50
White onionVitamin C (3%).$0.62
Canned organic tomato pasteFiber (1 g/6%), Protein (2 g), Vitamin C (3%), Vitamin A (10%), Vitamin C (10%), Iron (4%)$0.50
Canned beef brothProtein (1 g), Calcium (1%), Iron (1%). Good source of Niacin. $0.75
Aged extra sharp white cheddar (Tillamook)Protein (7 g), Vitamin A (6%), Calcium (20%), Iron (2%).$0.35
Homemade bread (with Eagle Mills’ blend of white and whole grain flour)Fiber (2 g/8%), Protein (4 g), Iron (4%), Thiamin (6%), Riboflavin (2%), Niacin (4%), Folic acid (2%)$0.55
Fresh Valencia orangesFiber (3 g/12%), Protein (1 g), Vitamin A (6%), Vitamin C (98%), Calcium (5%), Iron (1%). Good source of Thiamin, Folate and Potassium.$1.05
TotalFiber (8 g/33%), Protein (37 g), Iron (25%), Calcium (28%), Vitamin A (55%), Vitamin C (193%).Chili: $1.86/person
Cheese: $0.14/person
Bread: $0.11/person
Oranges: $0.42/person

Cost per person: $2.53
Nutritional Goals: Excellent Vitamin C, Vitamin A; Good Fiber; Fair Calcium and Iron. One serving of whole grains. Lean protein source. 

Turkey Chili recipe here. I swapped in extra bell peppers (all colors) for the zucchini (I hate zucchini); used the whole 6 ounce can of tomato paste; added about a half cup of chopped fresh cilantro (when I added the paste and broth); and left out the salsa, chile peppers, green onions, and sour cream. 


Recipe for "artisan bread in five minutes a day" (this site may change your life)

No comments:

Post a Comment